Home : FAQ

Town of Winchester Frequently Asked Questions

Show All Answers

1. Dog Licensing Information

Dog owners in the Town of Winchester are required by statute to have a license for each dog you own. You can find this application on the Forms and Permits page. License fees are due April 1st of each year - $5.00 for neutered or spayed - $10.00 for dogs not neutered or spayed. Verification of rabies vaccination must be provided. A $10.00 late fee will be charged for dogs not licensed by April 1st. Please send your completed application and fee to the town treasurer to receive your dog's license. Please see the Forms & Permits Page for the dog license application.

2. Building a house or garage

Please review the "How-To Pre-Construction Checklist" under the Zoning and Planning Tab.

3. Controlled Burns

If you are planning on a controlled burn, please call Winnebago County Sheriff's Department at 920-727-2890. They will ask for the start time and will request a call back when fire is out.

4. Dog Control

If there is a stray dog, please contact Katie Joas at 920-836-2076.

5. Fire Number Signs

The Town of Winchester has an ordinance that requires everyone to display an emergency number at the end of your driveway. New homes receive their number from Winnebago County Planning and Zoning. The town will issue you a sign after the sign fee has been paid. If you do not currently have these numbers, please call the town office.

6. Garbage and Recycling Collection

Advanced Disposal provides weekly refuse and bi-weekly recycling collection for the Town of Winchester. Pick-up is on Fridays, with the single-stream recycling being picked up every other week. Please contact Advanced at 1 - 800 - 688 - 4285 if your garbage/recycling was not picked up. Extra carts are available for an additional fee that will be on your property tax bill at the end of the year. Rates: Extra trash cart - $9/month Extra recycling cart - $3.08/month Please contact the town clerk if you need an additional cart.

7. Operator's License

You must have a valid / current operator's license or must have taken a responsible beverage course within the last two years. Renewal is every year by July 1st. When you apply for a new license to serve alcohol in a Town of Winchester establishment, you will need a copy of your 'Responsible Beverage Course Certificate' and will need to fill out an application. The Town will conduct a background check through Winnebago County Sheriff's Department. Download your application for an operator's license on the Forms and Permits page.

8. Town Hall/Park Pavilion Rental

To reserve the town hall and/or park pavilion for your next event, download the facility use form on the Forms and Permits page and return it to the town clerk along with the rental fee and deposit. Town Hall rental: $100.00 plus a $100.00 refundable deposit Park Pavilion rental: $75.00 plus a $75.00 refundable deposit